How long does it take?
The entire process takes about an hour but you will only need to be standing for about 20 minutes. I do all the preparation and clean up.
What should I wear?
All you should wear is a pair of old panties and socks that can be discarded afterwards. I do realize some women may be modest, we can take that into account during your session.
What kind of plaster strips do you use?
I use medical grade plaster strips. These are NOT the same you will find with inexpensive do-it-yourself kits. They are much creamier and make a more rigid and solid cast
When should I set the cast?
The best time is about 36+ weeks. That makes for the best looking shape and will allow plenty of time to deliver the cast after your baby is born.
How long does it take to finish the cast?
It takes a couple of weeks. The cast needs to fully dry before I can begin working on it. Also, with the Canvas Package or Framed Package the additional painting and mounting adds a few days to the process.
Is there anything else I should know?
You may want to have your partner or a friend available to take some photos. Also, you will be messy and may need an extra set of hands to help you clean up would be good.
How it Works - The Casting
Feel free to contact me to ask any questions you have and to tell me what you're looking for.
1) Belly castings are typically done when you are about 8 months pregnant and can take up to 1 hrs. We will set-up a convenient time to do the belly casting at My Conway Studio, your home, hospital room, or your baby shower.
You can do it by yourself, with a partner, with your family, or arrange a baby shower party.
2) You can relax, knowing that I will provide all the necessary supplies, and you don't need to do anything else apart from show up! Consider looking at ideas before our session, so you can think about what shape cast you might want and the finished design or artistic finishes.
3) When you (and your companion(s)) will be treated with the utmost respect and care from start to finish. I will particularly honor you as a woman and as an expectant mother, and will encourage your companion(s), if you have them, to take on supportive roles also. I will clearly explain the process to all present, answering any additional questions and addressing any concerns before starting the belly casting process. You will decide if you want the process to be photographed at various stages throughout. Photographs will be emailed to you within 3 days of the
4) I will work to get you feeling physically and emotionally comfortable with the process. If you decide on it, we can play music, and you can soak your feet in scented water as we do the belly casting.
5) Sit back, relax, and enjoy the nurturing feeling of having the cast gently applied to your pregnant form. Your companion(s) can participate in this process if you so choose. Note: Only natural products will be placed directly on your skin.
6) We will gently pull the cast off you once it is initially dry. takes about 10 minutes. You will be able to wash off and re-dress.
7) After leaving, I will cut the edges to exactly the shape that you want, reapply plaster for smooth, professional-looking edges, and coat the cast with a formula which smooths and strengthens it, once it is fully dry. I will also prime the cast for decorating. I can add holes and a ribbon or wire for hanging and Custom work, it if you wish also. You will be able to pick up your piece is completed, this will depend on the if you get Classic, Deluxe or Custom castings done.
Sometimes, mothers want Name and Date put on it, which would make the Casting available for pick-up after the baby is born. You will be give an Approx. date of pick-up. (2-8 weeks depending on the work)